Sunday, February 7, 2010

Fruit Salad ~ by Sarah

I got this recipe for a simple, refreshing, delicious fruit salad when I was at a baby shower for my friend, Miriah. Even though every single food item at the shower was delicious, we all kept heading back into the kitchen to fill our plates back up with this. As soon as strawberries are somewhat in season, this is in my fridge a lot!  As a bonus, I make it with Splenda, not sugar, so it's sugar-free!

Here's what you need:
2 green apples (I like Granny Smith)
2 red apples (I like pink lady)
a carton of strawberries
two ripe pears (peeled)
one lemon
one packet of Splenda sugar substitute

Directions:
Start by quartering the strawberries into a medium-sized bowl.  Next, cut the apples into bite-sized pieces and add to the bowl.  (Don't peel them.)  I use my apple slicing gizmo to get nice, uniform slices and then I dice the slices.  Peel the pears and the cut them into bite-sized pieces (I also use my apple slicer with them).

Next is the secret ingredient that makes people think I'm weird when they see me doing it, but, believe me, it's what makes this salad so good.  Zest the peel of the lime into the bowl.  I don't have a zester, so I use the small holes on my cheese grater and it works great.  If you don't have a small-holed cheese grater, I have used a paring knife with success when in a pinch.
 

Next, cut the lime in half and squeeze the juice from both halves into the bowl.  Add the packet of Splenda and mix well.  Taste it.  If it seems too sour, add another packet of Splenda.  I like mine kind of tart, so one is always enough for me.



She loves it.  Gavin spits it out and makes a sour face.

*Note:  This does not keep more than a day or two in the fridge (especially the pears--they get very mushy).  If you're not going to eat it all in a day or two, you can lessen the amount by using just one pear, one red apple, and one green apple.  (I still use all the strawberries, lime, and Splenda.)

No comments:

Post a Comment