Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Beef 'n Bean Enchiladas ~ by Sarah

I've had this recipe for years.  I got it from Wes's mom back when I was in college in La Grande and living with my cousin, Casey.  He'd beg me to make these all the time.  They were his favorite, by far.  Wes also loves them and begs for them often, too!  As a bonus...they're easy!

Ingredients:
1 lb. ground beef
1 med. onion, chopped
1 large can refried beans (any variety, but I always get "traditional")
1/2 bottle taco sauce (I get mild because I'm a wimp)
2 cans sliced olives
2 cans enchilada sauce (again, I get mild, but you can get what suits your taste)
10 large flour tortillas
2 c. shredded cheddar cheese

Directions:
Brown ground beef and cook onion together in a large skillet.  Add beans and mix well.  (As they heat they will "melt" into the beef.)  Add taco sauce, 1 1/2 cans of olives, and about 1/4 cup enchilada sauce.
 
Mix well and simmer until heated throughout.
Meanwhile, heat enchilada sauce in a saucepan.  Pour half of it into a 9x13-inch pan.  Roll up beef mixture in tortillas and place in pan.
Top with the other half of the enchilada sauce, cheese, and 1/2 can olives.  Bake at 375 for about 25 minutes.  It does have a tendency to boil over, so I always put the pan on a cookie sheet with sides to protect the bottom of my oven.
I always serve it with Mexican-style Rice-A-Roni and corn.

No comments:

Post a Comment