Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Chicken Cacciatore ~ by Sarah

I got this recipe out of the newspaper a few years ago.  It is delicious and my family loves it!  Easy, too!

Ingredients:
2 t. olive oil
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
salt and pepper to taste
1 bell pepper cut into strips (I used half a green and half a red.)
1 regular-sized package sliced fresh mushrooms
1/2 c. dry red wine
1 1/2 c. marinara sauce
2 T chopped fresh parsley

Directions:
Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.  Add chicken.  Season meat.  Cook 4 minutes per side.  Transfer chicken to a plate--set aside.  Combine bell pepper and mushrooms in skillet over medium heat.  Sprinkle with salt.  Cook 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add wine and cook 2 minutes.  Stir in sauce; heat.  Return chicken to skillet; reduce heat and simmer about 10 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.  Flip the chicken at least once.
Top with fresh Italian parsley.  (But, if you're like me and accidentally buy cilantro instead of parsley, using dry parsley flakes is fine.)
I serve it with noodles.  (Usually I cook penne, but halfway through cooking them tonight I realized there were weevils, so I had to use regular spaghetti.)

The sauce is the best part, but it doesn't make a whole lot of it, so if you're feeding more than just a couple people, you might want to double the sauce. 

No comments:

Post a Comment