Sunday, February 6, 2011

Chili Mac in the Slow Cooker ~ by Kelsey

Another fabulous recipe from my Taste of Home Ground Beef Cookbook.  It was good, the kids even ate it!  The onions, celery, and green pepper cook down to almost nothing, so the kids didn't even see them in there.

Ingredients:
1 pound ground beef, cooked
2 cans (15 oz each) chili beans (The recipe calls for hot chili beans.  I used regular and it was plenty spicy!)
2 large green peppers, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
4 celery ribs, chopped
1 can (8 oz) tomato sauce
1 envelope chili seasoning
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 package (7 oz) elbow macaroni, cooked and drained

In a slow cooker, combine the first eight ingredients; mix well.  Cover and cook on low for 6 hours or until heated through.  Stir in cooked macaroni; mix well.  Season with salt and pepper as needed.  Don't forget to look up our cornbread recipe!

*When I made this, I made a few changes.  I didn't have elbow macaroni, I used the little round ones.  Also, I decided to throw the uncooked noodles in about an hour and a half before we ate.  It worked out fine, EXCEPT that the noodles will absorb all the liquid out of the crock pot while they cook.  Luckily I checked on it, because it was starting to burn and I had to add a couple cups of water.  In the end it was okay, but just be aware that if you add UNCOOKED noodles, you will have to add more liquid.  I have learned to always add the noodles in the last hour of cooking, too, otherwise they over-cook and turn to mush.

No comments:

Post a Comment