Saturday, April 24, 2010

Berry Scones ~ by Sarah

I found this recipe in my latest Parents magazine.  I like to think that they're healthy since they only call for one tablespoon of sugar.  (But that's what I get for thinkin'...)  They really are delicious--I like that they aren't super sweet.  According to the article, they have half the fat and calories of bakery versions.  I'll take it!

Ingredients:
1 1/4 c. all-purpose flour, plus extra for work surface
3/4 c. whole-wheat flour
1 T. sugar
2 t. baking powder
1/4 t. salt
1/2 c. low-fat milk, plus 2 t., divided
3 T. canola oil
1 egg
3/4 c. fresh blueberries (I used blackberries.  I'm sure raspberries would be good, too!)
1/2 c. powdered sugar

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees and grease a baking sheet.  Mix flours, sugar, baking powder, and salt.  Combine 1/2 cup milk, the oil, and egg, then pour liquid mixture into the dry mixture.  Add berries.  Dust surface with flour and turn the dough over onto it.  Pat it into an 8-inch circle.  Score dough into 8 wedges, cutting halfway.  Bake 20 minutes; finish cutting wedges and place on a wire rack.  Once the scones are cool enough to touch, mix powdered sugar and 2 teaspoons of milk.  Drizzle over scones with a spoon.  (I ate mine without the frosting and it was still excellent.  I never like frosting on my pastries!)

No comments:

Post a Comment