Sunday, January 31, 2010

Potato-Bacon Chowder ~ by Sarah

This is a recipe Mom has been making for years and I LOVE it!  I usually serve it with cornbread, but tonight I served it with a loaf of french bread I had purchased and it was delicious when dipped in the chowder.

Ingredients:
8 strips bacon, cut up
1 c. chopped onion
2 c. red potatoes
1 c. water
1/2 t. salt (I also add garlic salt and seasoned salt)
dash pepper
10 3/4 oz. can cream of chicken soup (if you're a chicken hater like Kelsey and Molly you could probably use cream of celery or something like that)
1 c. sour cream
1 3/4 c. milk
2 T. chopped fresh parsley (or 1 T. dried parsley flakes)

Directions:
Cook bacon in 3 qt. saucepan.  Add onion; saute 3 minutes.  Pour off drippings (but I usually take the bacon out and put it on a paper towel so it drains really well--I then add it back to the soup at the end).  Add potatoes, water, salt, and pepper.  Bring to a boil.  Cover; simmer 10-15 minutes until potatoes are tender.  Gradually stir in soup, sour cream, milk, and parsley.  Bring to serving temperature over low heat.  Do not boil.




No comments:

Post a Comment