Sunday, January 29, 2012

Company Casserole ~ by Kelsey

This is from my "A Taste of Oregon" cookbook.  I am going to post the recipe as it is written in the book, but I will note the changes I made when I prepared it.  This was SO good.  Even Grace ate it, and she NEVER eats what I cook for dinner.  I completely left out the butter this recipe calls for, and it was still very rich!

Ingredients:
4 cups uncooked egg noodles
2 pounds ground beef ( I used 1.5 lbs since that's how ours is packaged)
1 tablespoon butter (again, I left out the butter)
4 8-oz cans tomato sauce
1 cup cottage cheese
1 8-oz package cream cheese
1/4 cup sour cream
1/3 cup chopped scallion or onion
1 tablespoon chopped green pepper (Now this confused me.  One tablespoon?  Seemed like a typo.  I used one whole green pepper)
2 tablespoons butter, melted (again, omitted by me)

Cook and drain noodles.  Saute beef in large skillet, using one tablespoon butter, until brown.  Stir in tomato sauce and remove from heat.  Set aside.  Combine in a bowl the cottage cheese, cream cheese, sour cream, scallion, and green pepper.  Using a 3-quart casserole, spread half the noodles, then cover with the cheese mixture.  Add the rest of the noodles. (I found it hard to spread the cheese on the noodles, so I ended up just mixing the cheese with the noodles.)  Pour two tablespoons of melted butter over top of noodles.  Cover with meat mixture.  Bake uncovered for 30 minutes at 375.

3 comments:

  1. Oh my! How nice to find this! I read about The Taste of Oregon cookbook on another website and am determined to get it. First I thought I'd see what's already on line for sample recipes. I will try your recipe from that cookbook but just wanted to say that it is almost exactly the same, if not the same, as a "Tailgate Casserole" recipe a friend made for my husband and I after we got married. It was her mother's recipe, allegedly, but then I found it in the local women's club cookbook back in New Hampshire (under a different name). Then I got a casserole cookbook years ago from 10 Speed Press and it had a similar "Tailgate Casserole" -- either way, so yummy! My kids' most requested pasta meal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Grandma Marilyn made this for me as a small child and I requested at least once a week on any visit. I make it for my children and it's one of their absolute favorites. However, we don't like green pepper so I just add lots of green onion. It's always a crowd pleaser young or old and even for the pickiest palates.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like a lot of cholesterol. My Doctor has my cholesterol under control.
    It sounds so delicious and
    tasty!

    ReplyDelete