Saturday, April 23, 2011

Potato and Sausage Soup ~Molly

I'm minorly obsessed with kale right now. It might be my new favorite vegetable. I fry it until it's crispy and put it in wraps. I chop it up and add it to scrambled eggs. I search for recipes that use it instead of studying for my Money and Banking midterm. Finding this recipe on epicurious.com was totally worth the B-.
I don't have a picture, so use your imagination. It looks like a broth-based soup. With chunks of potato, sausage, chickpeas, and kale. If you want to get fancy, add a piece of italian bread with butter on it. You could also find the recipe on Epicurious. It's actually called Kale and Chickpea Soup, but I knew none of you would read this recipe if that's what I titled this post.


Ingredients:


  • 1 medium onion, chopped (1 cup)
  • 2 garlic cloves, chopped
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
  • 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 3 red potatoes(3/4 lb), cut into 1/2-inch pieces
  • 3/4 lb kale, stems and center ribs cut out and discarded, then leaves very finely chopped (4 cups)
  • 3 1/2 cups reduced-sodium vegetable broth (28 fl oz)
  • 2 cups water
  • 1 (14-oz) can chickpeas (aka garbanzo beans), rinsed and drained
  • 1/4 lb sausage, diced and browned (I used smoked bratwurst)

  • Cook onion, garlic, bay leaf, salt, and pepper in oil in a wide 4- to 6-quart heavy pot over moderate heat, stirring frequently, until onion and garlic are softened and beginning to brown, 5 to 7 minutes. Add potato, kale, broth, and water and cook, partially covered, until potatoes are tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Reduce heat to low, then add chickpeas and chorizo and gently simmer, uncovered, 3 minutes. Discard bay leaf and season with salt and pepper.
  •  
  • Note from Kelsey:  
  •  
  • I made this soup for my family and a couple of young "cowboys".  They all loved it, even the kids!  It is definitely something I will make again.  It smelled so good when it was cooking!  I served it with grilled ham and cheese sandwiches and a green salad.  I took a picture so I could add it to Molly's original blog post. 




No comments:

Post a Comment