Sunday, March 6, 2011

Pasta Fagioli Soup ~ by D'Lynn


INGREDIENTS
1.5 lbs of ground beef
2 cans (14oz) chicken or beef broth
(if using chicken broth compliment it with a TBLS of beef bouillon seasoning, it will make the broth richer
1 can (15oz) Great Northern Beans (white beans), rinsed and drained
1 can (14oz) diced tomatoes, undrained
2 medium Zucchini (shredded)
1 TB of EVOO
1-1 1/2 tsp of garlic
1/2 tsp basil
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 to 3/4 Cup of Ditali (any type of "small" shell pasta)
Garnish: with shredded Asiago, Romano, or Parmesan cheese and serve with fresh baked french bread.
Pretty Darn close to Olive Garden!~
It's winter time still, even though the tulips are breaking thru the ground. I am tired of the gray, damp days, even more tired of this head cold, and because I have become more like my mother than I'd care to admit....I love making homemade soups (I will say I'm a better cook than her though!) and because this soup has Zucchini in it...I know anyone close to Kelsey's garden will be required to give it a try!
In a large soup kettle brown beef, drain off extra fat. Add broth, beans, tomatoes, zucchini, evoo, and seasonings. Salt and pepper to taste. Bring to boil and turn down to simmer for an hour or so, then add the dry pasta, let it cook 30-40 minutes...the pasta will soak up the broth quickly, so make sure you have enough liquid.

No comments:

Post a Comment